Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The 37 I've read already...

It's a start, eh?

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – Mark Haddon
Quite enjoyed it, but not entirely my sort of thing

The Devil and Miss Prym and Veronika Decides to Die – Paulo Coelho
I love Paulo Coelho. These aren't his best - I enjoyed the Alchemist most - but I liked them.

Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis de Bernieres
I read this on holiday in wet France, and sobbed endlessly. Although the multi-character thing annoyed me.
Was the soldier chap called Carlos? Anyway, I liked him.

Regeneration and The Ghost Road – Pat Barker
There's actually a trilogy of these things...I think. Friend 2 went through a phase of adoring them, so I read them to keep her company. I liked the first one a lot, though I wasn't so keen on the sequels.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
Brilliant, in a word.

Interview With the Vampire – Anne Rice
I started reading this when I was ten. Naturally, I didn't get very far. When I tried it a second time I adored it.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie – Muriel Spark
Odd...but definitely very good.

Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
One of the best novels ever written. Probably.

Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
We had to study this one for school. So naturally, I loathe it. I'm not saying it was bad, I just never want to put see Okonkwo and his yams ever again.

On the Road – Jack Kerouac
"Read some Kerouac, kinda put me on the track to burn a little brighter now. It was something about Roman Candles fizzing out, shine a little lighter now" - song by Marillion. I've been listening it to years and decided to finally find Kerouac. I even found the roman candles bit!

Day of the Triffids – John Wyndham
Actually, I thought it was tedious.

Gormenghast and Titus Groan– Mervyn Peake
I attacked this one with a ruler - cheerfully updating people on how many cm I was through. Wonderful read.

Nineteen Eighty-Four – George Orwell
One of my favourite books, though mostly on account of the plot, not the writing.

Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh
Definitely one of the best written books ever. I revisit this at least once a year, it's just packed with such wonderful words.

Animal Farm – George Orwell
OK, I suppose. Nothing really really special, but a pretty good read.

The Little Prince – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
A wonderful little book. I've never really enjoyed it as much as I thought I should though...

The Outsider – Albert Camus
Weird...oh, I'm sorry, I meant existentialist. I did like it...sort of. But it's not really the sort of thing you're meant to like. Twas good though.

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings– J.R.R. Tolkien
No comment. Love too much for words.

Gone With the Wind – Margaret Mitchell
Wrestled all the way through on holiday. Possibly the only book that has ever made me sob.

At the Mountains of Madness – H.P. Lovecraft
Very unusual novel, but wonderful atmosphere et al.

Dracula – Bram Stoker
We're doing this one at school. Love it!

Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy
Didn't enjoy it as much as Casterbridge, but it was ok. I didn't really like the characters.

The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde
Probably my favourite book ever. Just beautiful.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Robert Louis Stevenson
A tad disappointing.

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Absolutely fantastic, though the ending was lame. This book deserves a decent film adaptation.

The Mayor of Casterbridge – Thomas Hardy
I really really enjoyed this.

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There – Lewis Carroll
I'm running out of unusual ways to say "yes, I liked this"

Les Misérables – Victor Hugo
Ploughed through the entire thing, and it's fantastic.

A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
Absolutely wonderful! Sydney is an angel.

Pursuasion - Jane Austen
Friend 4 made me read this. Fairly good, I suppose, but nothing special.

Wuthering Heights – Emily Brontë
OK. Well...disappointing. Wuthering Heights' reputation has been built on what people think they know about it, from spin offs and films. It's actually got less of the passion and tempestuous darkness one would imagine.

Frankenstein – Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Quite enjoyed this. I felt more sorry for the doctor than the creature though.

Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
For years I had been reading the first half then giving up. I finally had to finish it for school. I wouldn't describe myself as a Jane Austen fan at all...

1 comment:

Arukiyomi - the spreadsheet guy said...

If you're serious about finishing the 1001 books list, you'll need a copy of Arukiyomi's 1001 books spreadsheet!

...and it would be nice if we could post on your blog without having to have a blogger account... please...

Arukiyomi